Winners of The Energy Daily's 2009 Leadership Awards
The Energy Daily's annual leadership awards reflected nominations from industry and the views of our editors and other industry experts on the most influential executives and companies.
View the Leadership Awards Special Issue and see biographies of our judges.
Contact Erica Lengermann at (301) 354-1598 to order copies of the special issue.
Congratulations to the winners of The Energy Daily’s 2009 Leadership Awards!
Nominees needed to demonstrate that they incorporated innovation into future corporate strategy, reorganized internal structure to promote efficiency and took on a leadership role in a community outreach effort.
• Peter A. Darbee,Chairman & CEO, PG&E Corporation
Submitted by: Leonard Anderson
• The Honorable Ray Mabus, Secretary of the Navy
Submitted by: Chris Tindal and Brett Blanton
• Southern California Edison Company
Submitted by: Gene Rodrigues
Most Dynamic Energy Practice
Law firms who spearheaded a large effort will need to detail their involvement and explain how their representation, expertise and guidance assisted in the conclusion of the issue.
Sonnenschein’s Global Energy Group has one of the best litigation track records and unrivaled regulatory, legislative and political intelligence capabilities. We provide an array of major industry clients with representation on transactions, in courts and before federal and state regulators. Not only do we handle matters in the traditional energy areas of federal and state regulation, but also we provide advice and assistance in areas such as development of tribal resources, land use, water rights, compliance matters, bankruptcy, contracting, corporate restructuring, environmental matters, litigation, asset acquisition and divestiture, financing and derivatives, policy initiatives, telecommunications, antitrust, and taxation. We possess unique hands-on experience with conventional and renewable energy project development. Our team is at the cutting edge of issues related to climate change and clean tech emerging entities and regularly handles novel matters stemming from federal and state legislative initiatives.
• Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP, Clint Vince and Energy Team
Submitted by: Dorri Thyden
• Dickstein Shapiro LLP, Larry Eisenstat, Richard Lehfeldt, Cortney Madea
Submitted by: Eric Harberson
Most Innovative Campaign
Recognizing a consulting/communications or PR firm or executive who designed a powerful and successful energy campaign.
• Arizona Public Service: Solana Generating Station Announcement
Submitted: Christine Wartom/Gordon C. James Public Relations
• Anniversary Planning Team, Otter Tail Power Company
Submitted by: Stephanie Hoff
• Arizona Public Service: A Green Success for APS
Submitted by: Susan Berg
• Seattle City Light, Shrinking Big Foot
Submitted by: Janice Boman
Most Innovative Technology
Nominees had to show how they integrated a revolutionary technology to promote efficiency and reduce costs.
• SolarMagic Power Optimizers by National Semiconductor - Ali Djabbar
Submitted by: Kimberly Setliff, Antenna Group Public Relations
• Worldwater Solar Technologies and Millennium Systems Services
Submitted by: MG Richard E. Stevenson (U.S. Army - Retired) and BG Gil Harper (U.S. Army - Retired)
• The TXU Energy iThermostat
Submitted by: Mike Gutierrez
• Arizona Public Service: APS Transformer Oil Analysis and Notification (TOAN)
Submitted by: Damon Gross
• Energy Storage & Power's 2nd Generation Compressed Air Energy Storage/PSEG - Dr. Michael Nakhamkin, Stephen Byrd, Roy Daniel
Submitted by: Lee Gray
Public Policy Award
Nominees must have been a leading force in the development of a policy, been actively involved at the Congressional, Federal or regulatory level.
• Charles B. Curtis, Nuclear Threat Initiative
Submitted by: Peter Fox-Penner, The Brattle Group
• Marine Renewable Energy Center (MREC), New England Marine Renewable Energy Center, UMass Dartmouth
Submitted by: Maggie Merrill
Most Successful New Energy Startup Company
Celebrating a new energy company launched in 2008 or beyond, with a notable achievement.
• L'Anse Warden Electric Company
Submitted by: Jim Duffy, MWW Group and Mike Reid, Traxys
• Joshua Weinstein, AMSOLAR Corporation
Submitted by: David Oates, Stalwart Communications